Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Case Study: My iPhone

In order to illustrate the highly customizable nature of the iPhone, let me share what I have on mine as a small case study.

Address book: My address book is connected to an online contact database provided by ZYB. This provides an ongoing backup of my contacts and it's much easier to add and edit information in a browser. The app for syncing is SyncML by Synthesis AG.

News: I am a newsjunkie. I get general news from AP by the app Mobile News. The current version of the app is a bit slow to update the headlines but it's otherwise a good app and fantastic content. The app Bloomberg is an incredible source of financial news and information about stocks. The app use movement of the phone for navigation in a very smart way. I get customized news with the RSS reader NetNewsWire by NewsGator.

Networking: The apps (in order of importance) are Facebook, TwitterFon, and LinkedIn.

Calendar: I use the Google Calendar and the app SaiSuke provides full access. It costs a few bucks but it's well worth the price.

To do: The app Zenbe by the company with the same name provides the ability to work with to do lists on the phone and online. The lists can be shared by many users and also integrated into web content such as the customized Google page. I use it for work lists, private lists, and grocery shopping lists - it's very practical.

Google Docs: I sometimes use Google Docs and the app MiGhtyDocs provides read access to the docs while on the go.

Wikipedia: The app Wikipanion provides easy access to Wikipedia. It's fast and easy enough to be used while engaged in conversations or in meetings.

Personal finances: I use the generic Banking app and it provides basic access to my accounts. That's just perfect, not too much access but limited to looking up information easily on the go. The app Pageonce is interesting and I use it to centralize account info and access information of services such as my AT&T billing information, rewards programs, travel info, etc. It can be used for other matters such as credit cards but I am not comfortable to go that far.

There are a bunch of other good and nifty apps, such as AIM, What's On? for looking up the TV schedule, iSSH for server administration, AirSharing to carry files on the phone. I also use the Amazon.com app for shopping and researching products.

There is actually something for everybody on my phone and my five year old daughter love to play with the app iDoodle2lite.

There are also decent games for the phone and apps using the GPS.

Of course, the phone is also a phone and an iPod, it provides access to email, web browsing, camera, and alarm clock - those are important features but it's not what makes this thing rock.